Tuesday 7 July 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Hyped Books I've Never Read



Hyped books are a strange thing. You first hear about them when everyone and their mother is raving about it, and you wonder to yourself... Why the heck aren't I reading that book too?? So you log onto your favourite online bookstore, pop a beautiful hardback edition into your cart (because you know you're going to love it enough to want a glorious tome on your bookshelf), and then you wait... And when you finally get a chance to read it, you wonder how in the heck you convinced yourself to buy a book without (1) reading the synopsis for youself, (2) reading the first chapter on Amazon before purchasing it, and (3) actually thinking for yourself whether you would enjoy the book.

I have fallen victim to purchasing hyped books many times before. I shared my thoughts on hyped books and those that I have read last month, and so I thought this week's Top Ten Tuesday would be a fun way to share the hyped books that I have never read. So, let's get onto that!

When I first started drafting this post, I had a list of 30+ books. But after careful revisions, I have narrowed this list down to the top ten most overhyped books that I, personally, have never read, and most of which I have no intention of ever reading.

10. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

This is one that I do plan to read someday, but I don't have plans to do so in the immediate future. The hype for this one, in my experience, is fairly moderate compared to others. I am intrigued by the concept, and so this one legitimately appeals to me. The hype that I have heard comes from reviewers whom I trust, so hopefully it will live up to that hype when I eventually get around to reading it. The page count on this book does freak me out, though!

9. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I read The Book Thief early last year, and since then I have been intrigued by Zusak's writing. I have heard nothing but amazing things about this book, so it is definitely one that I want to read eventually. Australian authors tend to be under-hyped in the worldwide community of books, so it is great to see Zusak getting the critical acclaim he so earnestly deserves. I'm not too sure about the plot of this book, but I am still nonetheless excited to read this one.

8. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

In all honesty, the only reason that I haven't read this book yet is because it's so gosh-darn expensive. I want to get into more historican fiction, and this one has a synopsis that just has me all kinds of excited. So many people have raved about this one, and they are again reviewers that I trust. I hope to get around to buying myself a copy of this one day, perhaps when I have a gift certificate to cover the hefty price tag.

7. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

When a new book in the Lunar Chronicles is released, this book moves its way higher and higher up my TBR. I so desparately want to become hooked on this series like everyone else in the world, but this is unlike any book I've ever read before. Fantasy, science fiction and cyborgs is something I don't read very often, so I'm somewhat nervous as to whether I would like this series. But I've been recommended this series again and again, so I'm at least going to try the first book one day or another.

6. The D.U.F.F. by Kody Keplinger

I've heard from many that this book is over-hyped, and whilst the synopsis does intrigue me, I don't plan to ever read this book. I sampled the first chapter or two on Amazon last year, and could not appreciate the main character or her narration style. I have a hunch that this book would be built on a plethora of stereotypes and clichés, so I have no desire to waste my time reading this one.

5. The Selection by Kiera Cass

I have no desire to read this book or the series. All I've heard about these books is how annoying the main character is, and so I have no desire to spend my time reading a book that I will only complain about. The synopsis is reminiscent of The Bachelor, a show that I absolutely loathe and could not ever bring myself to watch. A book series with a similar premise therefore holds no appeal to me.

4. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

This book appealed to me a while ago when I was in the midst of my dystopian obsession, but since then, it's fallen out of my favour. The plot still has me intrigued, and I might cave and eventually read it one day, but I have heard too many mixed reviews about this series and Oliver's writing in her other books that this series has been knocked off my TBR list.

3. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This book has been labelled over-hyped by so many reviewers whom I trust, so I will never find myself reading this book. The premise doesn't do anything for me, and the mixed reviews all have me turned off of this book. This book seemed to pop up out of nowhere at the start of this year, and it has since fallen off the radar again. To me, that screams over-hype and disappointment from readers who fell victim to over-marketing.

2. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

This one was most recently recommended to me—again—last week at work. I was in the tearoom, reading another book on my lunch break, when one of my co-workers told me to read this book. These books are so incredibly hyped, especially with the TV show in full swing, but I just have no desire to read these books. Firstly, they are incredibly long, and secondly, they are high fantasy, and that kinda terrifies me. I will probably start watching the TV show one day, but I have no intention of ever reading this book.

1. Girl Online by Zoe Sugg

This one gets a giant NOPE! from me. I don't see myself ever reading this book. I used to watch Zoe's videos religiously, but I have since fallen out of favour with her style. This is nothing against Zoe; my tastes have just changed over the years. But from what I know of her creative style, I feel that she is incapable of writing a book that I would enjoy. When this book came out, it was surrounded by controversy, so I was tempted to pick it up just to see what the fuss is about, but since then, I've regained my senses and know that I will never find myself reading this book.


• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. I tend to participate only when the topic tickles my fancy and isn’t too difficult. Today was one of those occasions.

4 comments:

  1. I am guilty of reading NONE of these books! I would like to read most of them at some point though, bar Girl Online and The DUFF. Great list :)

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started with A Game of Thrones and i want to read Outlander, Cinder and Red Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delirium was disappointing, The Selection okay and Cinder good. I am slightly daunted by Game of Thrones and want to read DUFF & Red Queen MyTTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on Game of Thrones - way too long & the only high fantasy ive ever read (& loved btw) was Lord of the Rings. So I may do it one day when I have more time and themselves is complete so I'm not hanging around waiting for the next instalment like Mr Books is.

    ReplyDelete