Monday 15 June 2015

Hyped Books: Good or Bad?

Whether they're hyped by publishers, bloggers, vloggers, or a combination of the three, there are some books that everyone hears about when they're released. Sometimes we get caught up in the hype and buy them along with everyone else, but when we come around to reading them... well, sometimes we love them as expected, but other time we're grossly disappointed.

This post was inspired by my own reading experience of All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, and jessethereader's vlog (below) where he discussed the hyped books that he enjoyed. I thought that this would thereby be the perfect opportunity to share my own thoughts in this ongoing discussion.


Admittedly, I have been caught up in book hype a few times. This was mostly from the influence of booktubers, but lately bloggers and people I follow on Goodreads have been more influential. I have purchased many books only because of the hype, knowing next to nothing about the plot and not reading reviews. Just getting caught up in everyone's excitement.

Most of them turn out to be okay - nothing too exciting, nothing to write home about. Some of them were loathesome, and I hate the fact that I bought them only because of the hype. A couple were excellent. And the rest I haven't read yet because I'm too nervous to pick them up.

Now I will list some of the hyped books that I have purchased, and what I thought about them.

Hyped books that I enjoyed:


  • Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
  • We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
  • The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
  • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Hyped books that were okay:


  • Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
  • Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
  • The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare


Hyped books that I hated:


  • Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
  • Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
  • All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


Hyped books that I haven't read yet:


  • I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

Let me know in the comments below your thoughts on hyped books and your experiences with them. I'm really interested to hear others' experiences on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment