Wednesday 3 June 2015

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY: My Favourite Books of the Year So Far

It's Top 5 Wednesday time, and this week I get to share with you my favourite books I've read so far! Yay for positive vibes!

Admittedly, I haven't read that many books this year. Only seventeen thus far, which is waaaay behind what I had read last year. But I've been busy with my studies, and I knew I wouldn't be able to read as much this year, but still. It's kinda upsetting to have read so few books in the year so far.

Anyway, here are my top five favourite books I've read so far. I haven't included re-reads, because that would have been cheating, I guess.

5. My True Love Gave to Me, edited by Stephanie Perkins

Does this one count? I mostly read it in December 2014, but I finished it in January, so technically it counts to my 2015 reading goal. This collection is such an incredibly cute read. They had me gushing for an abundance of new characters, and even though I only spent a few minutes with each of them, some of their stories will remain with me forever.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


4. Attachments, by Rainbow Rowell

The synopsis alone is enough to leave me squealing in a fangirl frenzy. How could anybody write something so gosh darn adorable?? This book was lovely, short and sweet. It told such a beautiful story of self-love and loving others, and everything in between.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

3. Dreams of Gods and Monsters, by Laini Taylor

This was a monster of a book, but so satisfying to finally read the conclusion to such a beautiful series. The series is definitely one of my all-time favourites, and this book didn't disappoint on epicness. Though I did have a few problems with the conclusion, it was satisfying enough to earn its place on this list.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

2. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë

I never thought I would love this book, but I had been so keen to read it for so long. And I'm so glad that I finally picked it up. Praise for this book is 100% warranted. It is an incredible work of fiction, and so surprisingly modern in its sentiment and morals. The feminist themes and maturity of Brontë's writing style was completely unexpected, and I simply adored Jane's story.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

1. If I Stay and Where She Went, by Gayle Forman

And, of course, first place goes to this beautiful duology by Gayle Forman. I was laughing, sobbing, laughing, smiling, sobbing, sobbing, sobbing, hoping, dreaming, laughing, and sobbing throughout both of these books. They are so beautifully written, so beautifully unexpected. I love the movie equally so, and I hope they follow through with the sequel, but if not, I'll be happy to re-read these two books for the rest of time.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★


Let me know what your favourites reads of the year have been!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Lainey of gingerreadslainey. I tend to participate only when the topic tickles my fancy and isn’t too difficult. Today was one of those occasions. 

3 comments:

  1. Jane Eyre is a favorite of mine. I'm always impressed by the things women thought back then. It makes the divide feel smaller. And Attachments is such a fun book. It's my second favorite Rowell book. I think.

    http://infiniteink671.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-5-wednesday-favorite-books-of-year.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list, Steph! I loved Attachments so, so much. I know everyone raves over Fangirl, but Attachments is definitely by fave. I've yet to start that series by Laini Taylor. I know, ack! Need to do that - soon. Oh, and If I stay and Where She Went... wonderful. I think I liked Where She Went even better. I loved getting Adam's POV.

    Here's my Top 5 for this week:
    http://girlplusbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-5-wednesday-favorite-books-of-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Attachments but read it last year. I have read Landline and Eleanor and Park, but have never tried Fangirl. I own My True Love Gave to Me but saving it for winter/Christmas.

    ReplyDelete